Oct 5, 2011

Navratri Golu ....

     Hi friends, 'Wish you all a happy Navratri !!! ' . Hope you are having a great time with friends and family ...;-) ;-)
     During the festival of Navratri in South India, it is customary in the states of Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka, as well as in some Tamil communities within Sri Lanka, to display a "Kolu" (also Golu, or Bombe Habba or Bommai Kolu or Bommala Koluvu). This is an exhibition of various dolls and figurines in odd (usually 7, 9, or 11) numbered tiers ("padis"). [Excerpt : Wikipedia
     This week in Chennai, there was a golu exhibition where more than 69000 dolls were displayed for the Guinness World Records. Here are some pictures from the event .... 

 Display of various dolls in 9 tiers....
When the Guinness record was presented ....
 Musicians ...


Village scene : Bullock cart ... 
 Depiction of 'The Thirsty Crow' story ...
 A typical market scene : Vendors selling their products ...
 Marriage Procession .....


After the harvest .. 


I am linking this to the Weekly Story at Colours Dekor  and the Itz' Festival Time blog party at my blog. Hope to see you guys too there at the party ;-) ;-) ... !!!


 

15 comments:

  1. Thnks for sharing such awesome pics:) hppy festival

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Love the colours on the figurines! So festive! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful! So colorful and cute. I found you by other blogs. Thank you for sharing these wonderful gems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guinness record is news to me! may be i was too busy with Navarathri Golu at home along with 9 new dresses i made for my daughter as it is custom for every Navarathri!

    Please do visit my Navarathri Posts here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing display! Happy festival! Hope you are having a great weekend!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. An amazing display, and what a lovely tradition. I really find it interesting that so many scenes are depicted from your daily lives. Very unique. Thanks for stopping by and inviting me here to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Emreen...

    Ohhh my...what an awesome and unique display! I loved getting a look at a few of the figurines! What fun!

    I just wanted to come by to say hello and also to thank you for your recent visit to my blog. I really enjoyed your sweet note and invitation to join your party. I'm sorry that I haven't joined...I seem to be running very late here lately. I do appreciate your kindness! Thank you again, my friend!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww...so cute!! love them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh.. really!! Thats absolutely stunning!! wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh that's some doll collection, must've been a treat to go around the place right..

    ReplyDelete
  11. An interesting post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GREAT Photos!Thanks for visting,and sharing! Joann

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely pice ..

    Navratri wishes to you and all at home!!!

    regards
    rahul

    (apologies for the late wishes!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow ths s stunning...the array s neat and itz cool to see

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to share your suggestions and thoughts with me..!! Hope you enjoyed reading my blog..;-) ;-)